I’d say, there’s quite a few things that would make me instantly read a book but here’s my top ten!
The first two sort of go together which are:
- Transgender characters or
- LGBTQ+ characters in general
As someone part of this community, I want to see more characters like me in fiction, I want to see more characters like my friends in fiction. I want LGBTQ+ people to see themselves in fiction.
- Terrible governments being overthrown
I know it’s an overdone trope in Dystopian but I love it! It’s quite, I don’t know, enjoyable, seeing a government come crashing down.
- Mythology and retellings – Love love love both. Well, especially mythology if I’m being honest. I just love each author’s interpretation of things or what they can bring to it!
- ‘Coming of Age’ stories – if it’s called that, I’ll most likely pick it up
- Music – Anything where the character sings or plays a musical instrument, I can’t help but try it. I’ll be reading the above book asap!
- Anything to do with water – whether the character is a swimmer or a merperson, or it’s set at sea/ocean or whatever, as long as it’s got to do with water, I love it
- WW2 – any books that have to do with world war two, I usually read them and I don’t know why because I always end up crying – and let’s be honest, I think we all cried during the above two (even if you only saw the movie).
- Anything with a horror aspect – I absolutely love horror and I need some more recommendations on that front
- As odd as this may sound, but short series – if it’s 5 books or less, I will read it, I don’t really have the attention span to read a series longer than 4 or 5 books so if it’s something really long, like 10+, I probably won’t even bother picking up the first book because what’s the point if I’m not going to finish it?
*Note: To any photos not of books, credit goes to whoever made them, as I found them on Google, I don’t know who exactly created them, so I’m sorry for not properly crediting!*